Monthly archives: February 2019

Blue Jays slugger Encarnacion undergoes sports hernia surgery, expected back for spring

Toronto Blue Jays slugger Edwin Encarnacion has undergone surgery to repair a sports hernia.

The team said in a release that the designated hitter/first baseman is expected to recover in time for spring training.

Encarnacion helped form one of the most feared batting orders during the regular season, belting 39 homers and driving in 111 runs.

View this post on Instagram

All went great!! Family & friends thanks for your prayers. Thanks God,you are the best doctor🙏🙏🙌🙌💪💪..todo salio bien familia y amigos gracias por las oraciones.gracias mi Dios tu eres el Mejor Doctor del mundo 🙏🙏🙌🙌💪💪

A post shared by Edwin Encarnacion (@encadwin) on Oct 27, 2015 at 8:58am PDT

He had a .333 average with a homer and three RBIs in Toronto’s five-game win over Texas in their American League Division Series, but his production tailed off in the AL Championship Series.

He hit .227 with two RBIs as Kansas City dispatched Toronto in six games.

ChangSha Night Net

©2015

Posted in 长沙桑拿 | Comments Off on Blue Jays slugger Encarnacion undergoes sports hernia surgery, expected back for spring

Rushton double-homicide case sees major delay in court proceedings – Halifax

HALIFAX – A Nova Scotia man accused of double murder will not be starting his trial as planned this week.

Gerald Ashley Rushton, 49, is facing two counts of first-degree murder. It’s alleged he killed his common-law wife, Elizabeth MacPherson, 53, and her daughter, Brittany, 24 two years ago.

The bodies of the two women were discovered on December 27, 2013, in their home on Pictou Road in Truro.

Police have never said how either woman was killed. Rushton was also found injured inside the home and taken to hospital.

His trial was scheduled to start Tuesday morning at Nova Scotia Supreme Court in Halifax, but a last minute request for a change of lawyers for Rushton means for an undetermined delay in the case.

Elizabeth and Brittany Macpherson were found dead in their home in Truro on December 27, 2013.

Contributed

ChangSha Night Net

“Mr. Rushton advised me this morning that he no longer wishes me to represent him in this matter,” said lawyer Terry Sheppard, who had been representing Rushton since shortly after he was charged with the murders.

“It is a burden on the system for sure, but people must keep in mind that these are very, very difficult decisions, very difficult cases. Two people have lost their lives here. Mr. Rushton stands accused of that. The crown wants to put him in jail for at least the next 25-years and possibly for his life,” Sheppard said.

The Crown Attorneys working on the case were shocked by the last minute developments.

“It was literally minutes before we were due to commence this,” said Crown Attorney Alison Brown. “It is a huge disappointment from our perspective.”

A preliminary hearing held earlier this year determined there was enough evidence for Rushton to go to trial on two counts of first-degree murder. The evidence presented at that hearing is under a publication ban and cannot be reported.

A jury was selected Monday, and five weeks had been set aside for the case. The jury has now been dismissed, and the case adjourned.

The next scheduled court date for Rushton is now November 26. At that time, the judge will check on the status of the accused obtaining a new lawyer.

©2015Global News

Posted in 长沙桑拿 | Comments Off on Rushton double-homicide case sees major delay in court proceedings – Halifax

Judicial recount finds Liberal Amarjeet Sohi won Edmonton Mill Woods riding

EDMONTON – After a close race in which two candidates were separated by less than 80 votes, a judicial recount determined Liberal candidate Amarjeet Sohi won the seat in Edmonton Mill Woods in the federal election.

The judicial count found the difference between Sohi and his Conservative candidate Tim Uppal was 92 votes.

ChangSha Night Net

Related

  • Conservative Tim Uppal granted judicial recount in Edmonton Mill Woods following Liberal win

  • Verification count confirms Amarjeet Sohi won Edmonton Mill Woods for Liberals

“I feel honoured and humbled that the people of Edmonton Mill Woods have given me this opportunity to represent them in Ottawa,” Sohi said over the phone from Ottawa Thursday. “I commit to work hard and diligently on their behalf.”

The initial count found Sohi won the seat by just 80 votes.

A verification count confirmed the win for Sohi, but found he beat Uppal by 79 votes.

READ MORE: Verification count confirms Amarjeet Sohi won Edmonton Mill Woods for Liberals 

That difference was not enough to trigger an automatic recount, but Uppal requested a judicial recount and the Chief Electoral Officer of Canada agreed.

Lawyer Jonathan Denis, who is representing Uppal, said they had information from 18 different witnesses about voting irregularities in Edmonton Mill Woods.

“Irregularities happen almost every time you have an election, but in this particular case there were only 79 votes separating first from second and my client simply wants the public to be confident as to what the result is, whatever it is,” said Denis.

READ MORE: Conservative Tim Uppal granted judicial recount in Edmonton-Mill Woods following Liberal win 

The count was done by a judge of the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta. It started on Tuesday and the result of the count was released Thursday afternoon.

The results will be published on the Elections Canada website once the recount is completed.

©2015

Posted in 长沙桑拿 | Comments Off on Judicial recount finds Liberal Amarjeet Sohi won Edmonton Mill Woods riding

What’s the difference between a school lockdown and a ‘hold and secure’?

It’s been a busy school year, as we’ve already seen multiple GTA schools implement a lockdown or a “hold and secure” in response to some sort of a threat. So what does that mean, and what’s the difference?

A hold and secure occurs when there’s a threat in the general vicinity of a school, but not on, or very close to school property. Examples might include a crime in progress, police pursuit or search in the same neighbourhood as the school.

ChangSha Night Net

The school’s outer doors are locked during a hold and secure but classes continue as normal inside. Students are safe are generally considered safe so long as they don’t venture outside.

A lockdown is a more extreme procedure, when a threat is near or inside a school.

During a lockdown, efforts are made to minimize access and visibility throughout the school.

The school’s outer doors are locked and students are kept in classrooms or designated waiting areas. Lights are turned off, curtains or blinds are closed and all windows are covered to obscure visibility into classrooms.  Cellphone use is restricted and school phones are not answered.

Inner doors are locked where possible and only emergency services personnel can enter or exit the building. Staff members are designated to prevent anyone else from leaving the school.

School principals have the discretion to declare a lockdown, but usually do so on the advice of police.

Toronto-area school boards direct schools to conduct a minimum of two lockdown drills in each academic year.

One rarer form of emergency procedure is called a shelter in place. These take place in case of an extreme weather of environmental threat, like a severe storm or a noxious chemical spill. As the name implies, students and staff will remain in the school and take steps to protect from the specific threat, such as by covering windows, doors and air vents.

©2015

Posted in 长沙桑拿 | Comments Off on What’s the difference between a school lockdown and a ‘hold and secure’?

SXSW under fire after cancelling panels on harassment in gaming community

UPDATE (Oct. 28): South by South West interactive director Hugh Forrest addressed the growing controversy in a blog post Tuesday night.

While Forrest did not confirm whether the cancelled gaming panels would be reinstated, he noted festival organizers are working with local law enforcement to assess the seriousness of the threats they have received.

“We want the SXSW community to know that we hear and understand your frustrations and concerns about the recent cancellation of two SXSW Gaming panels,” read the blog post.

ChangSha Night Net

“The safety of our speakers, participants and staff is always our top priority. Moving forward, we are also evaluating several programming solutions as we continue to plan for an event that will be safe, meaningful and enjoyable for all involved.”

—;—;

South by South West (SXSW) Interactive festival has come under fire after cancelling two panels meant to discuss the ongoing issues of harassment and bullying found in the video game community.

In a blog post published Monday night, the arts festival announced it was pulling the plug on two panels – “SavePoint: A Discussion on the Gaming Community” and “Level Up: Overcoming Harassment in Games” – after receiving numerous threats of violence directly related to the talks.

The panels were not specifically about “Gamergate” – the 2014 movement surrounding sexism and the harassment of women in the online gaming community – but they did feature female panelists that were involved in the viral online debate.

“SXSW prides itself on being a big tent and a marketplace of diverse people and diverse ideas,” said SXSW interactive director Hugh Forrest in a blog post.

“However, preserving the sanctity of the big tent at SXSW Interactive necessitates that we keep the dialogue civil and respectful. If people cannot agree, disagree and embrace new ways of thinking in a safe and secure place that is free of online and offline harassment, then this marketplace of ideas is inevitably compromised.”

But the decision to cancel the panels has created a controversy of its own – with many people suggesting the move validates harassment as a tactic.

On Tuesday, online media giant Buzzfeed released a statement saying it would withdraw its participation from the SXSW festival unless organizers reinstated the two panels.

In a letter addressed to Forrest, Buzzfeed president Ze Frank, publisher Dao Nguyen and editor-in-chief Ben Smith expressed their disappointment in the decision and urged organizers to find a way to safely host the panels.

“Digital harassment — of activists of all political stripes, journalists, and women in those fields or participating in virtually any other form of digital speech — has emerged as an urgent challenge for the tech companies for whom your conference is an important forum,” read the letter.

“We will feel compelled to withdraw them if the conference can’t find a way to do what those other targets of harassment do every day — to carry on important conversations in the face of harassment. We hope you can support the principle of free speech and engage a vital issue facing us and other constituents on the event.”

©2015

Posted in 长沙桑拿 | Comments Off on SXSW under fire after cancelling panels on harassment in gaming community

Swedish Greys - a WordPress theme from Nordic Themepark.